Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy Writing versus Unhappy Writing (Or "The Biggest Difference in the World")

The best creative work is never done when one is unhappy.
—Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein was known to be brilliant in science. He was extremely intelligent and is considered to be the father of modern physics. But, Mr. Einstein, I must disagree with you on one account. You see, I don't - not even for a second - believe that quote above.

This blog entry is for you writers out there. Yes, I'm talking to you - the ones hunched over your laptops at this very moment waiting for a novel idea to strike (Jaime, I know you're out there...!). I'm talking to the people who consider writing more than a hobby or even a profession. I'm speaking to those who crave to write. Who find writing about as essential as food or drink. To those people I will ask this - when do you write best: when you are happy or unhappy?

Now, notice that I didn't say "sad." Oh, sure, I believe that a lot of great novels or poems can stem from sorrow. (Certainly, we have found that a lot of great songs can come from that). But I am talking not about the emotion of being sad or down or blue, but rather the state of being unhappy. Discontent. Wandering. Where do your greatest phrases, your strongest characters, and your beautiful settings originate?

I'll give you my answer. Quite simply, my best work occurs when I am unhappy. And by unhappy, I do not (like I stated before) mean that I am in a constant state of wallowing depression. I don't close my curtains to block out sunlight and curl up in my bed with a pen and paper all day. My strongest writing, I have found, occurs not when I am giddy and happy, but when I am in lack or want. My high school AP Literature teacher, Ms. Charlotte Roberts (who was the greatest teacher I have ever had) explained this to us once. In the beginning of our first semester, we all had examined our book list in dismay - there were no good books on there. And by good, we meant "feel-good." Every book that we read during that semester (and every poem and short story, truly) could be deemed "depressing" or, at the very least, "tragic." Ms. Roberts told us that if we were looking for beach-read worthy books, we would not find them in her class. And I think that is the point in which I realized that not a lot of classics (or books labeled "great") contain happy endings. Redemptive, sure. But happy?

Later in the semester, Ms. Roberts and our class had a discussion about this. When we asked why seemingly every book in our semester was depressing, she asked us something poignant. She asked when we felt we wrote the best: when everything in the world was going right, or when we were upset. We all thought about this as she proceeded. When we are happy, she explained, we don't want to write. We would much rather be at the beach, or at a party, or with our boyfriends/girlfriends. Forget about staying inside by a computer - we're happy. We're out and living and enjoying life. And when we try to write in those states, usually everything that we turn out is...well, crap. When we are unhappy or upset, we tend to write our best. And I've found her advice to be true. As a challenge, on an amazing day when the sun is out and it's beach weather and your boyfriend just surprises you with a picnic, try to then go home and write a poem. You'll find that it sounds remarkably Hallmark - cheesy and fluffy. Or else, you may not even be able to write at all.

Now, clearly I cannot speak for every writer, but I find that when life has hit a snag, or when there is rain (both physically or metaphorically), I write some of the phrases, poems, or characters that I am most proud of. So think about that as you  go throughout your day today. And comment below, if you wish, letting me know what you think - do you write better when you are happy or unhappy?

No comments:

Post a Comment